Selecting a Dissertation Topic
Choosing your topic is the first thing to consider when you want to write a dissertation. The subject you take will either make work easier for you or make it complicated. You have to consider the following when selecting a topic:
- What your institution and the department you are in require from you
- The areas you know better and passionate about
- The importance of the paper you are about to write
- You have to know if the sources are available
- You have to understand the number of words you have to use in your work
- You should know the exact day to submit your work
If you do not have any clue about dissertations, it can be challenging for you to know what to start from and what to start writing. Here are steps that can help you reduce your thoughts and remain with the relevant ones;
- Checking the Requirements
You should check all the requirements before you start anything. From there, you will plan yourself and know where to start.
- The number of what you need to have in your paper
- The exact day you should collect your work
- If you have to choose your topic from a specific list or you have to come up with your own
- The type of orientation to consider in your paper
- Methodological procedure
- Are there any restrictions?
Programs are different, and some are more lenient than others. Some programs do not give many requirements, only the vital ones. If you are not sure of the requirements, it is advisable to ask so that you avoid making any mistakes. Do not write your things because you fear to approach your instructor. Put in mind that writing a perfect dissertation will take you places.
- Choosing a Huge Field of Research
Think of an area that interests you the most. Avoid going for something complicated, and you know nothing about it. You will end up getting bored and giving up. If you choose something that you understand, you will not have to research from the beginning. You do not need to be a genius on a title. As long as you know a few points, you can start from there.
- Looking For Books
Go through articles that are related to your course. You can start by checking the list of references to get other sources. Remember to take short notes of the things you find fascinating because they might help you.
- Finding a Niche
After taking so much time reading, you have to reduce your ideas. You can decide to use any process that works best for you. Go with something that is not too common. It is great to be unique. Again, do not go for something complicated just because you want to be unique. You have to make sure you take a title that will give you enough points. The points should be strong enough to defend your research. Do not depend on one thing. You should have backup thoughts. If one backfires, you have another one to replace it with.
- Considering Type of Research
You have to choose a method that works best for you. Work with the one that will make you more productive. In case you can use different approaches, the better because you will gather more information after a short period.